- Knoll Pharma / Sun Pharma
- Trichomoniasis / Crohn's Disease
What is ornidazole?
Ornidazole is used to treat people who have certain types of vaginal, urinary tract and intestinal infections, or some specific infections that are in the body. These infections may be caused by anaerobic bacteria (bacteria that do not use oxygen) or amoeba (single celled parasites). These infections may be caused by anaerobic bacteria (bacteria that do not use oxygen) or amoeba (single celled parasites). Ornidazole is also used to guard against the possibility of these types of infections during surgery (prophylaxis). Ornidazole belongs to a group of medicines called antiprotozoals. These medicines work by targeting the bacteria or amoeba in your body, and killing them.Your doctor, however, may have prescribed Ornidazole for another purpose.
Do not take Ornidazole if:
- You have had an allergic reaction to Ornidazole other nitroimidazole derivatives such as metronidazole (Flagyl®, Rozex®, Trichozole®), or any ingredients listed at the end of this leaflet
- The package is torn or shows signs of tampering
- The expiry date printed on the pack has passed
- If you take this medicine after the expiry date has passed, it may not work as well.If you are not sure if you should be taking Ornidazole, talk to your doctor.
Tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or plan to become pregnantIt is not known whether Ornidazole is harmful to an unborn baby when taken by a pregnant woman. Ornidazole is not recommended for use in pregnant women unless the benefits of treatment outweigh the risk to the unborn baby.
- You are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feedIt is not known whether Ornidazole passes into breast milk. Your doctor will discuss the risks and benefits of using Ornidazole if you are breast-feeding.
- You have any other health problems, especially epilepsy, multiple sclerosis or liver disease
- You are allergic to any other medicines, foods, dyes or preservatives
Ornidazole side effects
Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following and they worry you:
- nausea and/or vomiting
- dizziness or vertigo (a spinning sensation)
- taste disturbances
- skin reactions
- numbness or tingling in your fingers or toes
Tell your doctor immediately or go to your nearest Accident and Emergency Centre if you notice any of the following:
- poor co-ordination
- loss of consciousness
- allergic reaction. Some of the symptoms of an allergic reaction may include severe skin rash, itching, hives, swelling of the face, lips, mouth or throat which may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing, swelling of the hands, feet or ankles.
What other drugs will affect Ornidazole?
Some medicines and Ornidazole may interfere with each other. These include:
- warfarin (Coumadin®, Marevan®), a blood-thinning agent
- vecuronium bromide (Norcuron®), a muscle relaxant